Monday, May 9, 2011

6 MONTH'S CLEAN...

Hello Beloved!

Today I am 6 months Clean. I was addicted to the "creamy crack" all the way up until October 26th 2010. 

I've always had the desire to go Natural, this is not my first attempt. The first time I BC'd was in 2006. It lasted for about 4 months and then I slapped some box relaxer in it and vowed to never look back. Then I had my precious little girl, Nailah. Her birth changed everything. Once her hair started coming in, I realized that I would never want to relax it. But then I would think to myself, "she is two years old now, what happends when she is five or six and she sees Yeye (Mommy) slapping this gooey white paste in her hair to make it straight, what will I tell her?" I teetered and tottered, but just couldn't see giving up my length (which by the way, I acquired mostly while pregnant with SHE).

Then I got even more pulled to put the crack back when I watched "Good Hair" by Chris Rock-A funny documentary about the amount of money and time African  American women spend trying to make their hair look like someone else's.

I decided to go "cold turkey" and leave the creamy crack alone once and for all while riding to Makeda on Florida Ave in D.C. with my Nafe. He asked me "Love, are you going to wrap your hair before we go out to dinner tonight?" I said, "Uggghhhh, I really want to find a hair salon that can style it out here, but I dont know anyone from the area, and the only beautician I trust is all the way in Jersey, I am so sick of being afraid of who I can trust with my hair!!!" He looked at me crazy and then I said, "ok, just take me to that barber shop around the corner from your house, Im going to shave it off, are you ok with that?" My man looked and me and said "you are beautiful  with hair and I am sure you will look even more beautiful without it, it dont matter to me Love"

With that reassurance, and the blessing of confidence from THE MOST HIGH. I walked into the barber shop and asked for the barber who had previously given my tapered edges a "shape up" the week before. He was happy to see his returning customer, and asked me what I was going to have done. I said, "just shave it all off please." He looked at me again and said "we can start cutting it a little low and leave your length on the top and front so you can have something until your natural hair starts growing out if you want". I then said, "no please just shave it off." I swear the barber must've been afraid of how I was going to react once I saw my low cut, because he just wouldnt get to shavin! He then proceeded to shave alittle bit off at a time and show me in the mirror. I was like, oh my goodness, will this man just shave my hair!

Finally, he asked me if he could give me a "high caesar", with a wash and condition, which would leave me with a little wave on the top and sides. I said "sure". All the while my sidekick Nafe was sitting in the waiting area watching the game, no sweat at all. He looked at me once or twice jokingly and said "Alright Love, this is it!" It calmed my nerves, because honestly, when the razor hit my head for the first time, i felt the biggest lump in my throat, I thought I was going to burst out into tears right in the man's chair!

But I was strong and sat seriously through the whole thing with no emotional outbursts! The final result was actually not bad! I felt so FREE.  More pics posted below




Immediately AFTER the BC!



5 months and counting...after a CO WASH


No comments:

Post a Comment